Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Evidences of God's Grace


God has been very good to me thus far on my trip. Let me tell you about it.

1. See that picture up there? That is almost all the medicine that it would take to get me through 6 months in Afghanistan while eating like a "normal person". This is now the 11th day that I have thrown out my diet. I am eating at the military dining facility (DFAC) and not taking some of my anti-inflammatory medicine (the really big bottles and the ones wrapped in bubble wrap), because it is too cumbersome. The result? A few stomach aches, but my joints have been fine! I even worked baggage detail and only had muscle soreness, no problems with my joints. Truly amazing!

2. I have met some really nice people. There are two guys who are headed to NTM-A/CSTC-A, just like me, so I should run into them throughout my deployment. Then there are the two Sergeants who talked to me as we traveled, answering questions and giving me advice. There was the civilian guy who asked me if I grew up on a farm, because apparently I was throwing bags like bales of hay. There was the Chaplain who sat with me at breakfast and talked. And many others!

3. In a separate category of his own is LTC Hopkins. I never did introduce him to you. He is the married father of 3 children, loves Jesus, and works in a different division of the Center for Army Analysis. W have prepared for deployment together, sharing notes and going to training. While traveling, he has been a sort of home base for me, giving me advice, talking through decisions and issues, keeping me out of trouble, and teaching me about the Army specific situations I keep finding myself in. I could probably get through this by myself, but it is so much better with him! LTC Hopkins is one of the most significant evidences of grace on this adventure thus far.

4. All of you are such a blessing to me! Thank you for praying for me, engaging with me on Facebook. It is wonderful to know that I and loved and supported in this grand adventure.

5. Hot showers. Need I say more?

6. Free wifi and calls home. This is not World War II. I am not writing letters home in hopes of receiving out of date news several weeks later.

7. The ability to sleep even in a tent with other strangers who come and go at all hours and a rule that the lights must remain on. I'm not sure if this is a specific gift from God or if it is just an indication that I am too exhausted, but I'll take it!

2 comments:

  1. So fun reading this and seeing how God is providing for you, Megan--you are in our thoughts and prayers!

    Mrs. S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    It is wonderful to read about your experiences and any prayer requests that you might have. I hope you will keep us updated with your blog. It will be fun to compare your thoughts from early days with those later on. A package is on the way to you!
    Take care,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete